Saturday, March 6, 2010

Are we independent????

Many of us proclaim that we are totally independent and do not depend on others.

Is it really so? Let us examine.

I called one of my relative to my house at 11 A.M.
Prompt came the reply. “Oh! 11 A.M.Servant maid will be coming to my house. I can come only after she leaves”. It is the case in my house also. If I delay for bath on any day, my wife says “Take bath immediately. Servant maid is going to come. We have to give her the bath room for taking water etc:”
So, my independence has become interdependence.

As usual, the washing machine in my house went out of order as per its weekly schedule.

We called the service engineer and he told that he will be coming at 12 noon. I stayed back to tell my sad stories about the washing machine to the service engineer. But the service man did not turn up. Probably he may be listening even bigger sad stories from other customer. I waited for one week in the morning skipping all my outside work. After my repeated phone calls he visited at last by 3 P.M when I was having afternoon nap.
I was delighted to see the service engineer at last. He was glittering like a God to me.

There is a boy who is ironing clothes in our apartment complex. To get your cloths ironed, you have to get appointment from him. You have to use your influence to attract him to your house. I have to chase like Tom and Jerry to get him.

I had to receive a cheque from L.I.C and they told that they have sent by registered post. That is all! My tension and anxiety started immediately. To add to my woes, the post did not come for a week. I was simply looking at the door and every calling bell sounded like a post man’s bell. But, unfortunately it did not come. I told the main gate security to direct the post man to my house – if at all he comes. And for considerable time, I was standing near the security. But that post gentleman was not to be seen. You know what happened? I went to the post office in person after 10 days and as a coincidence, the post came on that day and I took it. For having driven myself, all the way to the post office, I gave tips to the post man.

Worst will be the case when your telephone goes out of order. The line man may come or may not come. When he will come? Experience the ordeal. It is great. It is the best way to develop tolerance and become a saint.

Similar are the cases with electrician, plumber, milk supplier and on the top of the chart is the gas cylinder supplier.

Are we not changing our routine schedule and priorities to accommodate these service people?

In some houses where they have pet dogs, they even do not lock the house and go out stations.

Now, tell me are you independent?

3 comments:

Padma said...

Good post! after a long time...hope atleast this time blog bug bites our family so that everyone starts writing again.It is a nice way to keep in touch.btw,post was good and realistic.we are all dependent on each other (especially service people) My bitter experience is always with gas cylinderwala who always breaks my nerves:-)))and certainly this dependency either postpones or cancels our routine and in the worst case we cannot even depend on our own digestive system,in many cases upset stomach also can make us change our program;-)))

Prasanna's Pen Speaks ... said...

good post mama.....but think of my case my husband works in night shifts...he sleeps during day time..his sleep gets diturb even in a small sound...unluckily my calling bell sounds a very big sloka instead of sounding ting ting...all my walas r very prompt in time and i hav to open my door always open preventing them frm pressing the calling bell...many times the bell rings when i m in toilet...this tom and jerry show continues everyday...am i dependent or independent?

Raja said...

Kumar..I saw this post coming from you after your recent Orkut status update "Boring Boring...."..your LIC check incident was a funny one..I think we are all interdependent ..without us those servicemen have no jobs and vice versa...